While traveling in Edmonton, my wife and I dined at a Mexican restaurant and ordered an Aztec Coffee for dessert. It left quite the impression. I wanted to re-create this experience at home and found a great recipe on this blog, Homemade In The Kitchen. I followed this recipe last night, and the outcome did not disappoint. My only thoughts, go easy on the chili – it easily overwhelms the flavours.
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 – 1/4 teaspoon chili powder (depends on spice level)
- 6 – 8 ounces (3/4 -1 cup) hot coffee
- 1/4 cup milk
- Whipped cream, for serving**
- Brew some coffee, mild or medium roast is probably more ideal.
- In the bottom of a coffee mug, stir together the powdered sugar, cocoa powder, cinnamon, and chili powder.
- Pour in hot coffee and stir until dissolved.
- Stir in milk. Top with whipped cream and sprinkle with cinnamon, if desired.